Monday, November 9, 2009

Welcome to Reality

Chan pben Kruh. I am a teacher. It still feels strange to say!

I've been teaching for about a week and a half, or that is, I've been at school for a week and a half. I lost a few days going to Laos and yesterday we had Buddhist examinations so the students had no classes. Most classes I've seen at least twice but I just saw a class for the first time today. Some of the classes are wonderful and can read/ write..though they may not understand what they are reading or writing. Other classes don't even know how to write their names in English or what sounds the alphabet makes. It's a huge discrepancy especially as all of the students I teach are in Mattayom 3. (grade 9) It's been difficult the first few days to figure out what level the students are at so I haven't really established any long term goals. One of the hardest things is getting the students to listen to commands in English. If I say 'ngiap!" they listen (it means quiet!). If I say "quiet!" they don't listen at all. Most of the Thai teachers conduct their English classes in Thai so they aren't really used to the English commands. Luckily, I'm something novel so they are paying attention for now. However, I'm guessing that within a week or two the novelty will have worn off and there will be some disciplinary problems for sure. They are scared of the Thai teachers, esp some in particular as corp. punishment isn't quite extinguished over here. It may be illegal but it's still done. (I've never seen it, just heard about it). So they students aren't afraid of the English/ Foreign teachers as they know we won't do anything.

Let's see. A typical day...

Generally up at about 5:30 or 6:00 to finish planning - I'm just too tired to do it at night! Yes, I'm going to bed early, before midnight!

I have to be at school at 7:30 and morning assembly is at 8:00....It's all in Thai and I have no idea what is going on. But the teachers talk to me and sometimes explain. For example, yesterday during the assembly they were telling everyone that there were no classes. Us foreign teachers were left in the dark for a while.

Classes begin at 8:30 and generally go until 2:20 when activities begin. Volleyball, basketball, English club - everything. I teach either 4 or 5 classes a day for a total of 21 course hours. Each class is 50 mins though they don't have passing time so classes are generally let out 5 mins early and get there 5 mins late...if you are lucky. In the afternoon or after lunch the students are sometimes 15 minutes late - but again, no discipline! So theres not much we can do in terms of enforcing the schedule except make the beginning of class extremely fun. We'll see.

I have to stay on campus/ in the office until 3:30 or 4:00 which is annoying for now as I dont' have much to do but I'm sure once my lessons pick up it will be planning time.

I usually plan a bit after school in my room and then head to the night market to pick up some dinner - lots of sticky rice and various meat dishes. sometimes meat crepes (theyre good!). coconut juice for sure - it's delicious. And usually fruit for desert. Mango or pineapple or pomello. This afternoon some of the Thai teachers shared their lunch with me and told me the names of food so I'll be able to order things in Thai.

If I don't go to the night market I head to a little coffee shop we found that has wireless internet. Yes, they have it here! The family that owns it is super sweet and have the most adorable kids. Haley and I hang out there and lesson plan a bit before heading home.

So that's about it! I'll generally watch a bit of tv on my computer to decompress for the day or just hear some English. It is very exhausting most of the time but I'm still feeling pretty good about living in Thailand. Some days are hard for sure and I second guess what I'm doing here. Why did I want to move to an area that speaks little English and is super super hot? But then I see the other volunteers or have lunch with some of the Thai teachers and it's all okay again.

More pictures to come. Take care everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment