Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Ubon, Part 2

I only spent two days in Ubon but I feel that I know the city pretty well – the layout anyways. It’s relatively small, though it’s considered one of the bigger cities of the Isaan region. It still seemed quiet and very ‘isaan’, despite its bigger population. I really didn’t feel the hustle and bustle of a city that I would have expected though. The other volunteer with me, Kara, and I walked all over and eventually ended up at the night market. Almost every place you go to in this region, village or city, will have their version of a night market. Vendors start setting up at about 4 or 5 and are there until the evening. In the smaller areas, such as Nakhon Phanom, they close down/ pack up at around 8 or 9. But the night market in Ubon went until at least 10! They have all sorts of food stands – lots of Vietnamese food and some Chinese. Lot’s of Laos influence here. They also set up little clothing shops or second hand clothing stalls. The vendors sell everything from clothing to jewelry to hair things to food to household items. And it’s usually the cheapest place in town. I end up there almost every night here…

Kara and I got some food and then headed to the park to eat and people watch. An activity that seems to be catching on here in Thailand is aerobics and in most major cities there are a few aerobics ‘classes’. They are held outside, usually in parks or in NKP, along the Mekong. In Ubon there must have been over 150 people in the park doing aerobics! It was crazy. They play this asian/euro hip hop music and just have a blast. I’ve done it once and thoroughly enjoyed myself. It was made better by the fact that all the Thai women were ecstatic that we were there with them!

After Ubon we traveled to Khon Kaen where I was able to actually experience some hustle and bustle of a city. It was quite big and is the transportation hub of Isaan. It’s where all the planes come in, the train line ends (I think) and busses connect. They have a fairly large ex-pat community too. I hadn’t seen so many ‘farangs’ in ages! It was actually a little strange….

They have this new mall, Central Plaza, full of stores with American names. I went in for a little while and found an English bookstore! Everything is overpriced but I didn’t care at all, it’s impossible to get English anything outside of major cities and I can only watch so many movies. I spent most of my time outside though, wandering the city. They have a big lake that’s got several wats and the ‘spirit of the city’. It’s this huge pillar and I think many cities have them. But they are located at the old center of the city . They usually aren’t where the center is located these days but they are highly respected and have altars all around.

Khon Kaen was great and they even have a night scene! Two other teachers from my school were there so Kara and I met up with them and got a drink out on the town. It was nice to have things to do later in afternoon and also not see students everywhere we went. The following day was also spent wandering around and getting back to Nakhon Phanom. That turned out to be quite the ride as it was about 6 hours and we picked up everyone that needed a ride….it was like a local express or something. There were people jammed into the aisle’s and standing for hours on end….luckily I was at the beginning bus station and got a seat. It was quite hot but I couldn’t complain as I did get to sit down.

It was a wonderful trip and I hope to at least go back to Khon Kaen. It’s also a fairly scenic bus ride as it goes through the mountains in Sakhon Nakhon (province next to me). They have manicured all of the bushes into animals and the winding roads are relaxing, assuming you don’t get carsick. (Mom, dad, and Kel – that will be your bus route!! I hope you are looking forward to it….you’ll have a much nicer overnight bus though, don’t worry :) ).

At school though classes were canceled for most of the day. I think we only have a few more days of classes before January as it’s sports week next week….they go all out with floats and parades and crazy cheering routines. More on that later!

No comments:

Post a Comment